How to link BVN to Fidelity bank account – BVN is a requisite requirement in the Nigeria’s banking system that its importance cannot be underscored, the earlier you prioritize it the better.
If you are a Fidelity bank customer looking to get your BVN updated or linked to your bank account, this guide will provide the much needed information that’ll help you to overcome this challenge in the most seamless way.
But before we proceed, find the below briefing on BVN and why you should get one.
What is BVN?
BVN means “Bank Verification Number,” a unique identity for every bank account holder in Nigeria without which you cannot operate an account.
The essence of BVN as introduced by the CBN in 2014 was to uniquely verify the identity of each bank customer under the “KYC” model.
There are a number of issues we could address under BVN, however, this guide will deal with how to link BVN to Fidelity bank account.
Why link bank account with BVN?
Why would you want to link your bank account with BVN? This idea is birthed following the fact that every bank account in Nigeria must conform with the biometric standard made available by the CBN.
- To checkmate against fraud
- Money laundering and terrorism financing
- Impersonation and double standard of identity also known as identity theft.
While the porous nature of the Nigeria’s state has made way for fraud and other related crimes to persist despite the introduction of BVN, double identity has been prevented in banking.
Assuming Mr. Benson Godwin Okoye has a bank account with ABC bank, he may decide to open another account with bank DEF with a different name all together say Mr. Ejike Mathew Alex.
Without being told this is a case of identity concealment or double identity as I choose to name it, you do not need a crystal ball to understand that there’s an intent to commit fraud by this customer.
An element that aids and abates fraud is false identity, and by every implication this scenario represents and defines it perfectly well.
How do the banks manage to get this thrashed? The introduction of BVN brought an end to this head on. The essence of maneuvering the system with such identity is to commit fraud and go scot free unidentified.
What happens if I do not link my bank account with BVN?
The bank has already set a standard and you must abide by it, otherwise without account being linked,
- You cannot withdraw from your account
- The account would be on place-no-debit (PND), a language that infers no debit transaction could be passed.
How to enroll for the BVN
You probably are using the bank services for the first time and do not have a BVN, to get started you need to be profiled on BVN portal for your 11-digit BVN number.
- Visit the nearest Fidelity bank branch in your area
- Head straight to the customer service desk, tell them you want to enroll for a BVN, some banks have a dedicated point for this service anyways
- You will be require to complete a BVN enrolment form, fill the form correctly paying attention to details.
- Present your valid ID card which could be; Driver’s license, voter card, national ID or international passport.
- Having completed the process, the service officer will commence your enrolment on the BVN portal with your finger prints and facial image captured (biometrics), thereafter a ticket ID will be issued, you will be advised to check for your 11-digit BVN on or before 48 hours.
- You may dial *565*0# on your enrolment phone line be it MTN, Airtel, GLO or 9Mobile after 48 hours to check your BVN.
General Note: While completing the BVN form always ensure to capture your name rightly as seen on your ID card and as contained in any bank account you might have opened before now.
Additionally, your date of birth must be captured exactly as contained on your ID card and any bank account you may have opened before now.
Your BVN details must match your account details which are;
- Account name (Ensure the first, middle and last name appear where appropriate).
- Date of birth mainly
How to link BVN to Fidelity bank account
You can either link your BVN to a Fidelity bank account via the USSD code, by visiting any Fidelity bank branch or via SMS
Linking via the USSD code
- From your phone number linked to your BVN, dial *770*02#
- Enter your 11-digit BVN
- Follow the screen prompt to link your BVN to your bank account
To link via a branch
Kindly visit any Fidelity bank branch with the following
- Your account number
- 11-digit BVN
You would be required to complete a BVN linking form, fill in the details required appropriately and sign where advised. This serves as an instruction to the bank to link your BVN to your account.
How to link via SMS
- From your registered phone number, send an SMS with your 11-digit BVN to 09035090000
- You will be communicated on the status
How to check your BVN
From your registered phone number dial *565*0#
Your BVN will be displayed. Note this works with MTN, GLO, Airtel and 9mobile
|How to check BVN on Fidelity bank app||Kindly logon to your Fidelity bank mobile app Tap the menu icon on your dashboard and view your BVN.|
|How to get Fidelity bank BVN code||The Fidelity bank BVN code is denoted by *770*02#|
|Fidelity bank customer care||Phone: 070034335489 WhatsApp: 09030005252 Email: [email protected]|
|How to change my BVN phone number online||You cannot change the phone number linked to your BVN with Fidelity bank online, rather you will have to visit the nearest Fidelity bank branch. Here is an article on how to change BVN phone number|