Voters card online registration has not come as a surprise to Nigerians given the need to address challenges in the Nigeria’s electoral umpire
Nigeria is a country of over two hundred million people arguably the most populous African nation.
In 2019, a data shows that only 82,344,107 persons were registered on the INEC data base as voters, this number is way too poor and disturbing given the Nigeria’s population, several Nigerians only enrolled to have the voters card as an official ID card to carry out banking transactions.
Arguably, voter turnout during elections has been low too, which could be attributed to a number of factors indicating lack of faith in the electoral system and others.
In the light of this, INEC is working round the clock to ensure it regains the faith of an ordinary Nigerian in the coming years.
Given this, the electoral umpire adopted the voters card online registration system for ease of registration, afford registrants flexibility in time management and other related factors.
In this guide I will show you how you can now commence your voters card registration online from the comfort of your home.
How to register for voters card online
This task is done on the INEC voters registration portal following the below guideline
2. On arrival you are required to first and foremost create a user account, to do this successfully you are required to sign up with a valid email address. This refers to a functional email you can as well access for further correspondence.
3. Having signed up/created the account, an email link will be forwarded to your email address inputted
4. Kindly click on this email link to activate your account properly
5. You are required to complete a form online with detailed and relevant information as required by the commission.
6. On completion of this form, kindly select a convenient date and time you would like to visit a registration center for biometric capture to further complete your registration
7. Click on the “Submit” button to complete your pre-registration, on successful submission of your application slip containing your Application ID, QPR code and similar details generated.
8. Print the above application slip and visit an INEC registration center on a pre-scheduled date of appointment with your printed application slip for a biometric capture having completed your voters card online registration.
Read also: List of INEC registration centers in Nigeria
9. On successful completion of the biometric, a registration slip will be issued to you, you will use this registration slip to collect your Permanent Voters Card (PVC) when it’s finally ready.
Frequently asked questions
What is PVC – Permanent Voters Card
What information is contained in the PVC? – The PVC stores your biometric data, physical attributes, thumbprint. The information on the PVCs are electronically programmed and can only be read and accessed electronically with a card reader.
What do I need to collect my PVC? – You will need to present your temporary voter’s card to the INEC officials.
What should I do if I lose my PVC?– You will have to apply in person to the Electoral Officer of your LGA for a replacement of lost or damaged voter’s card, kindly note that you will be required to pay a processing fee.
I want to change my poling unit what do I do? – Apply to INEC more than 30 days before the election.
Write an application for transfer to the Resident Electoral Commissioner through the Electoral Officer of your LGA or call 070022554632
Avail yourself this opportunity and prove to be a worthy citizen by registering for a voter’s card thereafter stand to be counted.