How to link BVN to Zenith bank account – Tell me a challenge associated with banking that’s way above BVN issues in Nigeria and I’ll wait. There’s apparently non close I can assure you from my bulk of experience in banking.
I’ve seen customers run around trying to fix BVN issues without success countless times, it even gets frustrating and mind bugling when their accounts are credited with funds meant to cater for emergency situations like health, travel, or up-keep even.
They most often do not access these funds as a result of little issue with their BVN, alterations, inappropriate placing of names, wrong date of birth, or not being linked with the account concerned.
What is BVN?
BVN means “Bank Verification Number,” a unique identity for every bank account holder in Nigeria without which you cannot operate an account.
The essence of BVN as introduced by the CBN in 2014 was to uniquely verify the identity of each bank customer under the “KYC” model.
However, the dynamics of BVN in Nigeria is clearly defined in the “Regulatory Framework for BVN Operations.”
There are a number of issues we could address under BVN, however, this guide will deal with how to link BVN to Zenith bank account. Follow up in subsequent posts for further guide on BVN issues.
Why should I link my bank account with BVN?
Why would you want to link your bank account with BVN? This idea is birthed following the fact that every bank account in Nigeria must conform with the biometric standard made available by the CBN.
- To checkmate against fraud
- Money laundering and terrorism financing
- Impersonation and double standard of identity.
While the porous nature of the Nigeria’s state has made way for fraud and other related crimes to persist despite the introduction of BVN, double identity has been prevented in banking.
Assuming Mr. Benson Godwin Okoye has a bank account with ABC bank, he may decide to open another account with bank DEF with a different name all together say Mr. Ejike Mathew Alex.
Without being told this is a case of identity concealment or double identity as I to name it, you do not need a crystal ball to understand that there’s an intent to commit fraud by this customer.
An element that aids and abates fraud is false identity, and by every implication this scenario represents and defines it perfectly well.
How do the banks manage to get this thrashed? The introduction of BVN brought an end to this head on. The essence of maneuvering the system with such identity is to commit fraud and go scot free unidentified.
What happens if I do not link my bank account with BVN?
The bank has already set a standard and you must abide by it, otherwise without account being linked,
You cannot withdraw from your account
The account would be on place-no-debit (PND), a language that infers no debit transaction could be passed.
How to enroll for your BVN
You probably are using the bank services for the first time and do not have a BVN, to get started you need to be profiled on BVN portal for your 11-digit BVN number.
- Visit the nearest Zenith bank branch in your area
- Head straight to the customer service desk and tell them you want to enroll for a BVN, some banks have a dedicated point for this service anyways
- You will be required to complete a BVN enrolment form, fill the form correctly, pay attention to details.
- Present your valid ID card which could be; Driver’s license, voter card, national ID or international passport.
- Having completed the process, the service officer will commence your enrolment on the BVN portal with your finger prints and facial image captured, thereafter a ticket ID will be issued, you will be advised to check for your 11-digit BVN on or before 48 hours.
- You may dial *565*0# on your enrolment phone line be it MTN, Airtel, GLO or 9Mobile after 48 hours to see your BVN.
General Note: While completing the BVN enrollment form always ensure to capture your name rightly as seen on your ID card and as contained in any bank account you might have opened before now.
Additionally, your date of birth must be captured exactly as contained on your ID card and any bank account you may have opened before now.
Why is this necessary? Mistakes and alterations in this capacity result to correction of BVN details thereafter which is not always easy.
Why the correction of BVN details? Your BVN cannot be linked to your account except all details meet even the least requirement, which involves a strict “Match.”
Your BVN details must match your account details which are;
- Account name (Ensure the first, middle and last name appear where appropriate).
- Date of birth mainly
On how to link BVN to Zenith bank account
Having being enrolled for BVN it’s time to get it linked to bank accounts accordingly.
This may also be referred to as BVN update, which ever you feel comfortable with.
The process you are about to learn is how to link BVN to Zenith bank account via the USSD code.
- From your phone number supplied while enrolling for the BVN dial *965*BVN#
Where 965 is the Zenith bank USSD code, and BVN is your 11-digit Bank verification number. Which may be 22456789534.
- It should appear thus *965*22456789534# then hit the send button on your phone.
- You will receive acknowledgement that your BVN is being linked/updated.
You may also visit the nearest Zenith bank branch to get your BVN linked to your bank account.
|How to check BVN zenith bank
|To check your BVN, kindly dial *565*0# from the phone number registered while enrolling for your BVN
|Zenith bank BVN code
|There’s no unique BVN code for Zenith bank, however, you may update or link your BVN with Zenith bank by dialing *966*BVN# from your registered phone number
|Zenith bank BVN update form
|Kindly find and download the BVN update form
|How to check your BVN on Zenith bank mobile app
|Follow the below steps to find your BVN Open your Zenith bank mobile appLogin to the app and sign inKindly find MYBVN on your dashboardClick on it, your BVN will be displayed.